SCQF Level: 10
Module Code: SOC406
Credit Value: 40
Term: Terms 1 and 2
School: School of Social and Health Sciences
This is a 40 credit module for Social Science students only. It involves a volunteer/work placement with an external organisation over 2 semesters.
The aim of this Module is to provide the student with : The opportunity to apply academic learning to 'real world' situations The chance to reflect on their own learning and how relevant and useful it is in a workplace situation. Employability skills, job-seeking skills and work experience
By the end of this module the student should be able to:
1. Show the ability to be proactive in developing their own learning outcomes.
2. Demonstrate knowledge of sociological, political and social policy issues related to their placement.
3. Critically evaluate theoretical ideas from their degree programme and their applicability to social problems and policy issues.
4. Demonstrate the ability to work successfully with an external agency.
5. Research and report on an organisation, project or sector in a way that combines academic learning, practical experience and a knowledge of wider political, social and economic contexts.
1 Student Defined Content
The learning will be shaped by the organisation in which the student is placed and the role they are assigned.
2 2. Work experience
The student will gain valuable employability skills.
3 3. Job-seeking skills
Guidance on job applications and CVs are built into the organisation of the module.
4 4. Research and synthesis
Students will combine knowledge gained from their placement organisation with academic knowledge from their degree to produce a report.
Statement on Teaching, Learning and Assessment
This is a core module for fourth year social science students. There are no lectures but the group will meet three times per semester to discuss assessment. The module is 100% enquiry based learning in which the students are encouraged to apply their academic learning to the role and organisation they are placed with. This encourages the development of graduate attributes which produce active citizens.
Teaching and Learning Work Loads
|Supervised Practical Activity||0|
|Unsupervised Practical Activity||0|
Credit Value – The total value of SCQF credits for the module. 20 credits are the equivalent of 10 ECTS credits. A full-time student should normally register for 60 SCQF credits per semester.