SCQF Level: 08
Module Code: MHN008
Credit Value: 20
Term: Term 1
School: School of Social and Health Sciences
This module builds on knowledge and skills developed in MC0701A focussing on the development of EBP as a concept, and the practical skills skills of finding and using evidence in both academic work and clinical practice
The aim of this module is to provide the student with additional knowledge and skills in relation to EBP
By the end of this module the student should be able to:
1. Describe the drivers which have led to the development of and EBP culture
2. Demonstrate competence in finding, retrieving and making sense of a range of evidence.
3. Demonstrate a developing competence in the evaluation of evidence and its deployment to address academic and practice based problems
4. Demonstrate an understanding of the facilitators and barriers to an evidenced based culture in healthcare
5. Demonstrate the ability to draw on different types of evidence as appropriate to a given situation
1 Drivers for EBP
Failures in care, accountability, professionalisation, moral and ethical imperative, resource allocation , selecting the appropriate intervention to optimise positive outcome
2 Finding , retrieving and making sense of evidence
Using CINAHL and other databases . Differentiating between research, policy, opinion, personal experience and hearsay. Knowing what to look for in research report . Appraising evidence
3 Strategies for appraising evidence
Strategies for appraising evidence. Identifying clinical questions , PICO, Developing a search strategy. Using RefWorks as a reference manager and to store papers.
4 Facilitators and barriers
Environment, people, culture and resource. Self as an evidence based practitioner. The Code and the importance of lifelong learning and professional development. Identifying learning opportunities in practice.
Statement on Teaching, Learning and Assessment
This module is delivered through a mix of classroom and tutorial contact, practical library based sessions and online.
Teaching and Learning Work Loads
|Supervised Practical Activity||12|
|Unsupervised Practical Activity||0|
Credit Value – The total value of SCQF credits for the module. 20 credits are the equivalent of 10 ECTS credits. A full-time student should normally register for 60 SCQF credits per semester.