SCQF Level: 09
Module Code: LSC307
Credit Value: 60
Term: Term 2
School: School of Science, Engineering & Technology
The placement is a planned part of the students education and training as part of the Integrated BMS degree route. It is designed to both complement and extend the academic course and allows the students to accept responsibility for their own personal and professional development, learning & training.
The aim of this Module is to provide the student with a structured placement in a Clinical laboratory under the guidance of a hospital Training Officer to and to provide them with an opportunity to develop their professional and interpersonal skills.
By the end of this module the student should be able to:
1. Satisfy a range of clinical competencies associated with the Certificate of Competencies Registration Portfolio of the IBMS
2. Outline the range and level of communications skills required in the clinical work setting (Colleagues, staff in other NHS sectors, patients).
3. Operate efficiently and effectively in the clinical laboratory.
4. Utilise specific knowledge and skills in the context of the placement.
5. Demonstrate a sustained commitment to learning and adapting to a changing work environment through self reflection and assessment.
6. Evaluate the structure, functional roles and responsibilities of the particular clinical laboratory.
1 Placement (Structure)
Students allocated to a clinical laboratory under the supervision of a Biomedical Scientist Training Officer. Student will undertake a structured generic training programme to allow them to develop the specific clinically required IBMS competencies required for HPC approved registration.
2 Placement (Management)
In addition to regular supervision by the Training Officer the student will also remain in close contact with a Placement Officer and will be visited at least once during their placement by their placement supervisor.
3 Placement (Debriefing)
At end of placement students will be required to give a presentation on clinical diagnostic processes used routinely in the various clinical laboratories in which they are placed.
Statement on Teaching, Learning and Assessment
Students will spend 18 weeks on placement and undertake supervised and independent work in a selected clincial laboratory setting. The ‘Graduate Attributes’ are covered in this module as follows: Confident Thinkers - throughout; Flexible Collabonators - in the laboratories; Determined Creators - coursework & talks.
Teaching and Learning Work Loads
|Supervised Practical Activity||200|
|Unsupervised Practical Activity||305|
Credit Value – The total value of SCQF credits for the module. 20 credits are the equivalent of 10 ECTS credits. A full-time student should normally register for 60 SCQF credits per semester.